A 4 C's outline for Tonight's Seminar
- In the work that you do - what is "fast" - what would be a short period of time?
- What is slow? - what would be regarded as a long time?
- What is the calendar of events in your organisation?
- Talk about tempo
- Changes in tempo result in emotion - that's what we're about in "Late and Over-budget" - understanding how project management makes you feel and what you can to make it feel better.
- Talk about clock/calendar time and event time
- Clock time costs money - event time delivers value
- Was Toyota's real insight to focus on servicing certain events - manufacturing cars at the rate of need - was the actual event the purchase of the car?
- Very often focus is on clock time, but managing projects successfully requires a focus on event time. This doesn't mean that we ignore clock time.
Concrete Practice [Move][Speak][Listen]
- Quiz from page 20 of Geography of time
- Look at James Allen's "Interval Logic"
- Are there any other ways in which two events interact?
- What might be the advantages or disadvantages of describing events in these ways?
- Get into pairs and act them out!!!
- What are the "events" in your organisation?
- How well are these events being serviced?
- How does what you're doing interact with these events?
- Did you notice any emotions when we were talking about time and timing?